“WIT’s Women of the Year winners are the reason why Georgia has so many companies moving to our state. Their leadership has propelled Georgia businesses to be well-positioned for the technology disruption taking place in the metro Atlanta region, throughout our nation and around the world. WIT AWARDS is an opportunity to acknowledge women at the front lines of the 21st century technology evolution.”
Sandy D. Welfare
WIT Executive Director
WHAT IS WIT’s WOMEN OF THE YEAR AWARDS?
#WITAwards | #WOTY2015
WIT’s Women of the Year Awards was created in 2000 to celebrate female technology executives in Georgia for their accomplishments as leaders in business, visionaries of technology, groundbreakers in business and remarkable leaders who make a difference in our community. At WIT AWARDS, three awards for Women of the Year are bestowed in small, medium and large enterprise categories to recognize women dedicated to promoting women leadership from the classroom to the boardroom. Also, a Girl of the Year Award is granted and when merited, a WIT Legacy Award.
The 2015 WIT AWARDS will take place at the Georgia Aquarium, (225 Baker Street, NW, Atlanta, GA 30313), on Thursday, November 19th with Cox Automotive as the presenting sponsor.
Awards and Nominations
The Short Form Nomination process for WIT’s signature Women of the Year (WOTY) Awards lasted from June 18th through August 10th and closed at 5PM on August 10, 2015. Candidates successfully chosen from the short form process move on to a more in-depth process to arrive at the WOTY finalists.
Candidates can nominate themselves or be nominated by a co-worker, business colleague or any individual who identifies the nominee’s qualifications for the award. Qualified candidates are nominated in one of three categories (e.g., small; medium/educational institutions; and large) during the “Call for Nominations.” The top 3 finalists in each category, along with their companies, are showcased before announcing WIT’s official Women of the Year winners in each category at the WIT AWARDS gala.
2015 IMPORTANT DATES
June 18 — Opening Call for Nominations
August 10 — Close of Call for Nominations
August 28 — Honoree Long-Form Due
September 29 — WIT Awards VIP Reception
October 15 — Judging
October 22 — Finalists’ Dinner
November 19 — WIT Awards Gala Event
Nomination Categories and Criteria:
- Large/Enterprise Organization: representing companies with more than 2,500 employees
- Medium/Mid-Size Organization: representing Mid-sized/Medium Organizations (251-2,500 employees) and Educational Institutions
- Small/Emerging Organization: representing companies with 250 employees or less.
Minimum Nominee Requirements:
To be considered for the Women of the Year Awards, a nominee must:
- Be actively engaged in a leadership role. They should either:
- Hold a business, technology or scientific leadership role in a company whose primary product is technology OR
- Maintain a leadership position in the technology or science department of a non-technology organization with authority over an IT operation, including but not limited to technology hardware, software, technical program management, telecommunications, and support desk/network operations center.
- Be employed by a Georgia-based business/organization or a division/subsidiary with a significant leadership role in Georgia
- Hold a leadership or STEM position with a technology company OR hold a STEM position in a non-technology company.
- Perform a managerial role within her organization and hold budgetary responsibility
- Have a minimum of one year of managerial experience within the current organization as of June 1, 2015.
- Have their primary residence in Georgia.
Finalist Selection and Judging
A selection committee comprised of former finalists, technology executives, and representatives of WIT narrows the field of nominees to three finalists in each of the three categories, based on the merits of their applications.
Finalists then participate in an interview conducted by an independent panel of judges comprised of distinguished executives from a variety of business sectors. Judges then deliberate and select the winner in each category based on the merit of their applications and the strength of their interviews.
NOTE: Awards Sponsors and WIT Board Members are not eligible to submit and/or receive nominations.
WIT Girl of the Year Award: Tomorrow’s Leaders Start Today
The WIT Girl of the Year award was created in 2012 as part of WIT’s commitment to support the entire lifecycle of a woman’s career in technology, and is presented annually as part of the Women of the Year in Technology Awards.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Girl of the Year has demonstrated a strong interest in science, technology, engineering or math, has been fully engaged in one or more WIT GIRLS programs for one year, is respectful and encouraging to others, is credited with exemplary performance in education and school citizenship, and has created a lasting and positive impression on a WIT GIRLS sponsoring host company and WIT member. Scintel Technologies has sponsored the award since its inception.
WIT Legacy Award: Honoring Individuals Who Exemplify WIT’s Mission
In 2011, the WIT board of directors recognized that certain members of the WIT community have had a noteworthy impact upon Atlanta’s technology and business communities. The WIT Board of Directors collectively decide annually if there are candidates for this exceptional recognition? The WIT Legacy Award is officially presented at WIT’s annual Women of the Year Awards.
QUALIFICATIONS: The WIT Legacy Award recognizes extraordinary individuals who have inspired others and provided significant impact to the technology community, especially in support and development of female professionals over the course of their career.